Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Social Commentary/Critique Assignment


For this assignment I wanted to comment on an issue that is really important to me, which is animal skin being used for shoes, more specifically. I used the UGG brand because I really really really dislike UGG boots, not because every single teenage girl has a pair, but because they don't even think about the fact that they're actually wearing dead sheep on their feet. The people who wear UGG boots usually just buy them because they've become really popular over the last few years, and they just want to fit in. But seriously, when did it become okay to wear dead animals on your feet to look cool? My sister has a pair of UGGs, and she loves animals, but it's like when animals are in the shape of shoes or coats and whatnot, people don't even think that they're real animals. I think the way the woman is laying down and has her eyes closed gives off a feeling of dreaming, and with the dead sheep all around her it's like she's ignorant to whats going on right in front of her.

I just used different selecting tools to cut out the image of the woman, and the dead sheep that are the background, and also the UGG logo.

I don't think I violated any copyright laws, the sheep are from public domain, and the parts I took from the UGG advertisement, I transformed them and gave it a whole new meaning.


2 comments:

  1. I like the message you're attempting to portray. I think you're doing it very well too because at first glance, the sheep look more like an artistic element to an UGG advertisement, but when you look closer you can see that they're dead sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your ability to subvert the original purpose of this advertisement. As a viewer, it causes me to reconsider other products that I might blindly consume.

    ReplyDelete